Family Matters @ School
What is Family Matters @ School?
Family Matters @ School represents a holistic family life learning model in equipping parents with effective parenting skills, helping school staff enhance their family life and providing students with life skills training.
Since its inception in 2002 by MCYS, Family Education has benefited more than 2 million parents, school staff and students with information, skills and resources in enhancing the quality of their family life.
Pei Hwa is making family life education accessible to as many students’ parents as possible, to help in fostering strong families as we understand that parent-child relationship has much impact on the child’s academic achievements and positive attitudes/behaviour, regardless of socio-economic status, ethnic/racial background or parents’ education level.
Some of our life-enriching programmes for Parents and Students
- Breakfast Sessions with Parents
- Coffee Talks at the ‘Enjoy, Relax and Play’ (ERP) facility or Partners’ Room
- Family Bonding at Asian Civilisations Museum, Singapore Flyer, Marina Barrage, Gardens by the Bay, Family All Night Out (Bowling, Jurong Fishery Port, Prawning), RWS’ Sea Aquarium
- Parenting Workshops: Transitioning to Secondary School Life, Developing Self-Esteem, Manage EQ & Parenting, Dealing with Teens’ Emotions, Nurturing and Developing Resilience in Your Child
- Marriage Convention
- Singapore Parenting Congress
Benefits of Family Education Programmes
- Better understanding of their children
- Better parent-child (family) relationships
- Be a Family Life Education advocate and participate in parent support groups
- Development into socially adept individuals equipped with positive life skills
- Image as an ideal environment for learning and working
- Schools gain much through minimal involvement from school staff
- School staff are being part of the target beneficiaries of the programme
- Better parent-school relationship
- Happier staff
For the Community
- Benefit from a value-added image as an ideal place to raise a family
- Fosters community bonding and pride
Quotes from Parents
“It’s a very good workshop. Looking forward to more of such workshops.”
“I have learnt new skills, will try to apply them at home.”
“I really enjoyed the coffee talks very much. I can share and learn from other parents’ experiences.”
“I am more confident of what I do.”
“I love the family bonding day events. I get to spend quality time with my children.”
“I understand more about my teen’s behaviour and will try to shower more care and concern to him.”